Monday, December 31, 2012

366th - Rahr Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer ....

This is it - I have done it.  The 366th beer of the year.  I have sampled beers from 71 different breweries; 9 of which were from Texas.  There are still a lot of beers I haven't tried including several already in my fridge.  Keep going?  Not at the one-a-day pace.  But I think I will continue to sample different beers and put my notes here.  Maybe a couple of beers a week?  Just no set pace.  This has been an enjoyable experience, but now I want to relax and 'just' drink a few beers.  Cheers!

I thought it fitting for my New Year's Eve beer to be from Texas, as well as local.  So tonight I am having a Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer, Dark Winter Ale, from Rahr & Sons Brewing Company.  1 pint, 6 ounce bottle.  It is listed in different places from 8-8.5% ABV.  The regular Winter Warmer is 8.5%

This beer poured with a small, tan colored head.  Beer color is a very dark reddish brown; when held up to the light, a very small amount of light shines through.  There is still a lot of chocolate to the aroma, but there is a little booziness underneath from the bourbon.  A little vanilla.  The taste again has the chocolate and roasted malt, but this time is smoother, and the bitterness is replaced with obvious notes of bourbon.  The aftertaste primarily leaves you with some of the bourbon.  Somewhat warming, but very soothingly so.  Overall, very tasty and hard to imagine a better beer to ring in the New Year.




Rahr & Sons Brewing Company
Fort Worth, Texas







No comments:

Post a Comment