Saturday, January 14, 2012

Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA ....

Most people are probably aware that World Market and Central Market will sell beer by the single bottle, or in a mix-n-match six pack, but I thought I would mention it in case someone did not.  It is a little more expensive per bottle than a per six (or four) pack price.  However, it is a good way to try a beer you heard about, to sample several beers from a particular brewery or sample several beers of a particular style.  Tonight I am going to try a beer from a brewery with which I am completely unfamiliar that I picked up at World Market.  With most of the others I have sampled so far, I have either tried a beer from the brewery previously or at least knew a little about them.

Tonight's beer is a Hop Rising Double India Pale Ale from Squatters Brewery.  It's a twelve ounce bottle, which shows 9% ABV and 75 IBUs.

This IPA pours with a medium to thicker head.  It has a nice golden honey color, with maybe just a little reddish/brown shading.  The aroma is what I usually expect from a higher alcohol IPA, with some hops and citrus, and a bit of sharpness to the aroma.  There is a nice hoppiness and a little citrus, and some malt.  A bit of spiciness on the tongue.  The aftertaste is a little bitter and definitely spicy.  I usually like these higher alcohol IPAs (like Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and Ska Decadent Imperial IPA), and this one is very nice and along those lines.




Squatters Brewery
Salt Lake City, Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment